Where and when can I do the course?
Many students complete the course in five months. But you can do it as quickly or slowly as you want. That's one advantage of distance learning.
You will have permanent access to the course. Tutoring is available for two years, and after that, you can pay a fee to extend it for a further year.
Yes. You can make five monthly payments. There is no extra charge. You can find the cost of paying by instalments by clicking 'Fees and Registration', and then 'Pay Monthly'.
Yes. Just let us know within 60 days of receiving it, and return it in good condition (if you have the printed edition) , and we'll send you a full refund.
There are two types of people you can contact - your tutor and a course advisor.
The tutor marks your work, and helps you with any problems. You can e-mail your assignments to your tutor whenever you want.
We don't give out the tutor's phone number, because a few people would spend all day talking to their tutors, who would never get any work done.
But sometimes students get stuck, or have an urgent query. If so, you can phone a course advisor at the Blackford Centre at any time during work hours. If you leave a message out of work hours, we'll ring you back the next working day.
You can contact your course advisor as often as you want, and about anything to do with your chosen profession.
Yes, we encourage submitting work this way!
Yes, you can.
We advise working through the course in order, but this is not a requirement.
So, if you want to tackle a particular topic, you can go straight to that module. This is useful if you have a job or a client that requires you to know about a particular subject. You might note that some other organisations supply only one or two modules at a time.
We send you the whole course when you enrol. This means you can study any topic you want to. You can also see what topics are coming up. Getting everything in one package makes it easier for you to get an overview of the course. As we mentioned above, some other organisations supply only one or two modules at a time.
We think this is the best course in the world. Bar none. But please examine other courses before making a decision. Consider these points:
1. Is the course comprehensive?
2. Will your studies be supported by a tutor?Research shows that people succeed much better on courses that include a personal tutor.
3. Is it interactive? That is, do the course materials regularly make you stop and think, and do exercises? Too many courses consist of page after page of boring lecture notes.
4. Does it teach you about setting up your own business? College courses are often weak on this point.
5. Is it accredited?
6. Can you get a refund if you don't like the course?
For our course, the answer to all these questions is 'Yes'. But check out other courses as well before enrolling. We want to you make the choice that's right for you.
Yes. Our course has been endorsed under the Quality Licence Scheme.
This means we have undergone an external quality check to ensure that our organisation and the courses we offer meet certain quality criteria. Endorsement involves a robust and rigorous quality audit by external inspectors to ensure quality is consistently met. A regular review of courses is carried out as part of the endorsement process.
To this end, the learning outcomes of the course have been benchmarked at QLS Level 4 Award against level descriptors published by Ofqual, to indicate the depth of study and level of difficulty involved in successful completion by the learner.
When you successfully complete this course you will receive a Certificate of Achievement and a Learner Unit Summary(which lists the details of all the units you have completed as part of your course).
Read more about course endorsement here
Working in the field
Yes, the course includes practical guidance on finding clients for your own private practice. You can also get additional help from your tutor or a course advisor.
Foot Health Care
The course is primarily theory based, due to it being a distance learning course. The course is especially suitable for those who have one or more of the following experiences:
- A background in nursing, allied health care or nail tech.
- Some involvement with foot health care, perhaps allied to their day job.
- Access to a friend or family member who can help you get hands-on practical experience.
- Work for a company that can provide practical support
However, we’re happy to accept learners who do not fit these criteria.
We do cover practical indirectly within the course. We achieve this by using case study based assignments, to help you apply your knowledge to a realistic setting. We also use video content as a visual aid, and provide a practising Foot Health Care practitioner as a tutor, to help with any practical based questions, and support you throughout your studies.
We also encourage students to complete voluntary work, work experience, and practice on friends and family alongside the course, to build up practical skills and confidence working with clients.
It is important for every student to pick a course that is right for them, and we encourage your to consider a range of courses and training options, to find something well suited to you as an individual.
We love our course, and think it’s a great choice for many, but can appreciate it cannot be right for everyone. For some students, distance learning is perfect, while others might prefer a classroom setting, or need more practical support.
Take some time to consider what support you need, and how you learn best, to help ensure you pick a course suited to your needs, that will help you achieve your goal.
Most countries let you set up your own practice after training with us.
USA/Canada - At time of writing, it is legal to practise in Canada. See https://cafcn.ca/
The USA has more stringent regulations.
UK - There is no legal requirement for you to have completed any certain type of training, or achieve any specific level of qualification to work as a Foot Heath Care practitioner.
That said it is important to do training, to ensure you have the skills to work safely with clients. Similarly, there is no requirement for you to have completed practical hours, although our learners should undertake practical training as, as it builds confidence and lets you apply your knowledge.
There is no requirement for you to join any particular organisations, or register with anyone, in order to practise. Organisations are great for networking and keeping up to date, but are not a requirement to practise.
Membership to organisations will depend on if a student meets these organisations individual criteria and requirements.
Depending on a student’s previous skills, knowledge and qualifications, they may need to complete additional studies to join these organisations.
Other organisations that could be joined include:
- The Register for Foot Care practitioners: http://www.footreg.org/
- CAFCN, The Canadian Association of Foot Care Nurses: https://cafcn.ca/join-cafcn/
- The Foot Health Practitioner Association: http://thefhpa.co.uk/join-us/ after two years' practice.
Unfortunately, we have no control over third party organisations, whose requirements can change over time. We encourage students to research different organisations directly, to learn more about their specific entry requirements.
Remember, there is no requirement for you to join any particular organisations, or register with anyone, in order to practise. Organisations are great for networking and keeping up to date, but are not a requirement to practise.
Me and my location
Yes. Please talk to us about how we can accommodate you. We're able to make suitable accommodations.
You don’t need any specific qualifications or experience. You just need the motivation to succeed.
- Don't worry. We understand. But this course is nothing like your memories of being stuck inside a stuffy classroom on a summer's day with an old-fashioned teacher droning on.
- For a start, this is a subject that interests you (or you wouldn't have got this far).
- And getting this deep into the website shows that you can absorb information and concentrate for long periods of time.
- Also, you'll see that we write clearly and simply. And that's how we've written the course materials. It's true that some organisations write long and boring pages that make your eyes glaze over. We promise you that our course is nothing like that. You'll find this course is informative and enjoyable. In fact, many students are almost upset at finishing the course.
About the organisation
When you start comparing us with other course providers you might notice that:
- Some organisations will only give you 7 days to return your course if it’s not right for you. If our course is not what you expected and you want a full refund we allow you 60 days to return it and claim your money back.
- Some organisations will charge you an administration fee to return the course. We refund all of your fees.
- Many of our courses include details on business, marketing and finance, or finding a job (as applicable). This is something other courses tend to miss out.
Here are some answers we hope will reassure you.
We've been in operation since 1995; so we're very established.
We publish our physical address at the bottom of each page - and you are welcome to visit us.
We’re audited yearly by The Quality Licence Scheme. The Quality Licence Scheme is part of the Skills and Education Group, who are a national awarding organisation. (You can phone them to verify that).
You can read the Reviews of our students on the web site.
We publish an Ethical statement here
We're registered at Companies House: registration number 352 4886
Our VAT number is 729 1528 23
Our bank is NatWest, 7 High Street, Wells, Somerset (we have money in the bank and no loans or overdraft).
We're registered with the UK government's Register of Learning Providers (www.ukrlp.co.uk); Number 10009490.
And finally, we love what we do; and we wouldn't do anything to jeopardise it.